Home Forums Engines Fiat spec and Multiair engines

• Fiat spec and Multiair engines

Posted by Haakon Marold on 27 December 2022 at 9:17 pm

Hi there – a great channel, learning heaps.

Wondering what you might able to say about Fiats specifications for engines with their Multiair valve system.

It’s a hydraulic valve management system. Quite clever and works very well.

https://youtu.be/Td9Gz_h7Qpg

Fiat and Alfa enthusiast communities are big on the “use only Selenia/Petronas oil with the Fiat spec or it will explode”, but no one knows what is special about the Fiat Spec or what unique requirements the Multiair system has for its oil.

Would you have any comments on how this hydraulic system could require special properties from the oil?

I note in the US markets for this engine they use Pennzoil GTL oil, so I’ve been using Shell Helix Ultra here in Australia. The Selenia is from what I can tell an unremarkable group 3.

I also prefer the higher HTHS of A3/B4 over the factory C3 as the engine has bucket tappets on the exhaust bank and the higher TBN on our crappy high sulphur fuel.

But perhaps this is a video topic about manufacturers and commercial tie ups with oil companies for their oil and using manufacturer specific specs to tie consumers into a brand of oil.

Cheers 🙂

Rafe Britton replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Rafe Britton

Administrator
    2 January 2023 at 2:16 pm

Wow, this is a really good question! Let me do some research for a bit and get back to you on this one.