Home Forums Compressors Sulfur content in base oil

• Sulfur content in base oil

Posted by Shan Virgin Virgin Nayakam on 23 December 2022 at 6:32 am

When you select the lubricant oil for the Refrigeration Compressor for Ammonia System, it is necessary to select the lubricant oil with Zero (PPM). . The aromatic hydrocarbons react with ammonia gas to form sludge in the system. The higher
    temperature increases the reaction rate which in turn increases the formation of sludge in the system.
    In ammonia systems,
    the sludge typically accumulates in the low temperature areas of the system
    especially the evaporator/Unit coolers.
    Heat transfer is
    negatively impacted and the system loses efficiency and sometimes results in
    inability to reach low temperatures.

<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”>The compressor manufactures are not </font>highlighting<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”> this issue when they recommend the mineral oil or synthetic oil depending on the application to the end users. All the OEM should consider this point as major concern when they </font>recommend<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”> any lubricant oil for their compressors.</font>

Rafe Britton replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Rafe Britton

Administrator
    28 December 2022 at 9:34 am

Great question – sorry it’s taken a little while to answer but I needed to do some research. The reaction of sulphur-based compounds and ammonia isn’t an issue that I’ve come across in the past. In theory, I think there’s the possibility of polymerisation reactions that yield red varnish compounds.

Although there isn’t any direct research into this area that I could find, there is an interesting paper available at the link below in which they look at the reaction of Ammonia with Sulphur Dioxide. That yielded (HNSO)<sub style=”background-color: var(–bb-content-background-color); font-family: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> x </sub>polymers, so I can imagine a similar reaction in sulphur-containing group I base oils.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03086648008078204