STLE vs ICML certifications

• STLE vs ICML certifications

Posted by chrysanthos.koul on 13 September 2022 at 10:54 pm

Hello all,

I saw some of you have completed or complete in the future, CLS exams.

Anyone who can identify the differences between STLE and ICML certifications?

I have read in the past that STLE are preferred more by tech/sales representatives who get to establish their relationships with customers, when on the other hand ICML is more useful for individuals performing on site lube analysis (plant-level).

Also think that the original CLS exam is included in STLE certification and OMA, but not in ICML.

In case there are any new organizations, for which I am not aware of, please exhibit them here.

Thanks,

chrysanthos.koul replied 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Rafe Britton

Organizer
    16 September 2022 at 1:35 pm

Hi @chrysanthos.koul sorry my original message got wiped by an update. In general, I’d say that the STLE (CLS) body of knowledge is more focussed on lubricants, whereas ICML (MLA) is focused on lubrication.

I’d say that makes CLS better for lubricants sales/marketing/technical and ICML better for end users. But I guess if you’re on the supplier side, ICML would be good to have so that you can better understand your customer’s experience.

Does that help?

• Rafe Britton

Organizer
    20 September 2022 at 10:43 am

Actually @chrysanthos.koul I found a pretty good forum from back in ’05 that discusses this exact issue: https://www.maintenance.org/topic/icml-versus-stle-certification

• chrysanthos.koul

1 October 2022 at 7:39 pm

That’s very helpful actually Rafe, thanks a lot!